Military Discharge

Information about obtaining Military Discharges

Military Discharges may be registered at no charge in the Lincoln County Register of Deeds Office. Certified copies of registered discharges are also issued in person at no charge.

In accordance with North Carolina General Statute 47-113.2, the parties authorized to access discharge documents are limited to the following:

  • The veteran or the veteran's widow or widower.
  • Agents and representatives of the veteran authorized in writing:
    • By veteran or veteran's widow or widower in a notarized authorization,
    • By a court to represent veteran, or
    • By the veteran's executor acting on behalf of a deceased veteran.
  • Authorized agents of the Division of Veterans Affairs, the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, the Department of Defense, or a court official with an interest in assisting the veteran or the deceased veteran's beneficiaries to obtain a benefit.
  • Agents or representatives of the North Carolina State Archives.

The North Carolina General Assembly limits access to Military Discharges due to the sensitive nature of these documents. Access to discharges which have been on record for over 80 years is not restricted.

Additional information and resources can be found with the office of State Veteran's Affairs



Scroll to Top