Marriage license MUST be obtained BEFORE the marriage ceremony is preformed. (NCGS 51-6)
Copies of divorce papers or copy of death certificate of previous spouse MUST be presented at time of application.
Appointments are taken Monday – Friday 8:30 – 4:00 pm. Call 704-736-8530 to set an appointment.
- Fee for Marriage License is $60 (NO PERSONAL CHECKS). A marriage license purchased in the Register of Deeds office of any county in NC is valid statewide. Applicants may be married anywhere in NC but the license must be returned to the county of issuance. License is valid for 60 days from date of issuance.
- Both applicants must provide identification and Social Security Card or a notarized affidavit that states "I have not been issued a social security number by the US government and I am not eligible to obtain one."
- Identification requirements:
- Over 21: All applicants must present a valid Driver's License or photo identification issued by a US Government Agency.
- Under 21: All applicants must present a valid Driver's License or photo identification issued by a US Government Agency plus certified copy of their birth certificate OR alien registration issued by the US Immigration and Naturalization Service. Foreign certificates must be accompanied by a notarized translation of the certificate. Foreign passports will be accepted if in English language.
*A matricular consular or other similar document, other than a valid passport issued by a consulate or embassy of another country, is not acceptable for use in determining a person's actual identity or residency. N.C. Session Law 2015-294
Marriage license will be issued in the name as it appears on identification
- It is unlawful for any person under the age of 16 to marry.
- Applicants who are 16-17 years old may marry a person no more than four years older. They must have an order issued by a district court authorizing the marriage or consent from a parent with full custody or both parents with joint custody or a person, agency or institution having legal custody or serving as legal guardian of the applicant. Documentation of custody if applicable, must be presented at the time of application.
- Applicants may apply for marriage licenses between 8:30 and 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday, Register of Deeds Office, 100 East Main St. 2nd, Lincolnton, NC 28092. Appointments are requested. Call 704-736-8530 to make an appointment.
- After you complete and submit the marriage license form online, please call the Register of Deeds Office at 704-736-8530 to schedule an appointment to sign the license. You are still required to appear in person to sign the license and provide the required information described above.